Situation Report




Situation Report #: N09110044

Jefferson City

May 09, 2011

Situation Report-April/May Storms and Flooding, May 9, 11 a.m.


Severe storms have resulted in flooding issues across southern Missouri.  The Missouri State Highway Patrol and its Water Patrol Division pre-staged assets to assist evacuations and water rescues as needed.  Two deaths that occurred in April have been attributed to the flooding. The State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) is currently activated, providing assistance to affected counties as requested.  Primary areas affected are Regions C, D, E and G in eastern and southern Missouri. 

Information new for 5/10 11 a.m. Sit Rep is in bold.

Lake/Dam Operations:

The latest outflow from Barkley Dam is 90,000 as of noon May 10. 

The latest outflow from Kentucky Dam is 172,689 as of 1 pm May 10.

Lake Wappapello Stage currently shows the lake level at 395.82 at midnight May 9.

Clearwater Lake Stage currently shows the lake level at 565.58 at noon May 10.

River Stages:

Flood Stage
Record Stage
Present Stage
Ohio at Cairo
40 ft
Crested May 7
Mississippi at:
1 pm
27 ft
31.32 Falling
Crested May 1
Cape Girardeau
32 ft
38.27 Falling
Crested May 1
33 ft
37.96 Falling
Crested May 2
New Madrid
34 ft
47.11 Falling
Crested May 6
47.02 Rising
Crested May 7
32 ft
46.69 Rising
Crested May 7
Black River
1 pm
08 ft
5.1 Falling
Crested May 2
Poplar Bluff
16 ft
11.65 Falling
Crested May 3
St. Francis River
1 pm
20 ft
21.38 Falling
Crested May 3


Southeast Missouri: 5/10: Mostly sunny, with a high near 88. Tonight, partly cloudy, with a low around 69. Wednesday, mostly sunny, with a high near 88. Wednesday Night, partly cloudy, with a low around 66. Thursday, 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 87.

Southwest Missouri: 5/10: Partly sunny, with a high near 89. Tonight, a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 7pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70. Wednesday, a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 86. Wednesday Night, a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63. Thursday, a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 81.

Northeast/Central Missouri: 5/10:  Mostly sunny, with a high near 88. Tonight, partly cloudy, with a low around 72. Wednesday, a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 90. Wednesday Night, a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 68. Thursday, a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85.


4238 State
210 Beech Street
DEXTER, MO 63841
106 N. Scott St.
701 Good Hope ST
                                    Total:   88
County Reports:

Butler County

Bollinger County

Cape Girardeau County

5/9:  Water is down; Hwy 25 has reopened near Dutchtown.  However, Hwy 74 remains closed near Dutchtown while officials determine whether to remove temporary sandbag levee. 

Dunklin County

5/9:  Water is slowly receding in Hornersville. 

Mississippi County

5/9:  Water in St John's Bayou threatens East Prairie in Mississippi County and I-55 in New Madrid County; pumps are being moved from Caruthersville to New Madrid to assist with draining.

The National Guard and EMD have disassembled piping and fitting at Caruthersville site for the three pumps and have transported them to St. John's Bayou site.  Pumps are to be loaded and transported today.

Beginning at 8 a.m. Monday, May 9, landowners affected by flooding in Mississippi County will be allowed to go in by boat until 4 p.m. to check on their property. On Sunday, May 8, Sheriff Keith Moore request assistance from MSHP's Water Patrol Division for safety and security.

The sheriff has received many requests from landowners/property owners to check the status of fuel/chemical tanks located on their property. Sheriff Moore has established three checkpoints for people to check in with boats. He would like to have (1) WPD two-man boat at each checkpoint location.  Sheriff Moore said he will have his deputies checking people in to ensure they are the property owners. They may also conduct operations on Tuesday, May 10; however sheriff will not go past Tuesday.

The three checkpoints are located at Route 102 and 80; Route 80 at the levee; and Route HH. 

New Madrid County

5/9:  Water is down Morehouse and Canalou.  River is dropping in New Madrid.  Pumps are being moved from Caruthersville to New Madrid to start pumping water from St John's Bayou (which is threatening I-55 at mile-marker 58 and East Prairie in Mississippi County).

There is a river closure along the Mississippi River from mile marker (MM) 897 to 903 near New Madrid. 

The city of New Madrid is being sheltered from water so far, with a 24-hour watch ongoing for the levee and sand boils.

Portageville is also out of the water, but boils are appearing near some county roads.

Pemiscot County

5/9:  River has crested in Caruthersville.  Pumps have been released to New Madrid.  National Guard has completed secondary sandbag wall behind primary flood wall.

Piping and pumps are being disassembled and transported to Mississippi County.  The NG is sandbagging areas of sand boils in the Caruthersville area.  They state no areas of concern.

At Caruthersville, the Mississippi River has crested and continues to drop. The Missouri National Guard continues to monitor the levee, on the lookout for sand boils or other issues. The levee is holding. The secondary levee that the Missouri National Guard has helped build is going to remain up, with pumps at the ready as a precaution. There are no plans for evacuations in Caruthersville, but everything is being monitored in case there is a problem.

On Sunday, the US Coast Guard reported the Mississippi River near Caruthersville has reopened to vessel traffic. 

Scott County

Stoddard County

5/9:  Water is receding across the county.  Hwy 60 no longer in danger at Fisk.  Transitioning to recovery.

Wayne County

5/9:  Water has receded in Greenville.  Lake Wappapello level going down as well.

Agency Reports:

Corps of Engineers:

5/10:  River levels falling at Cape Girardeau and points north, but still high.  Further south, levels are beginning to drop but are still near record levels.    Clearwater Dam has peaked and is dropping slowly.

Additional pumps have been delivered to New Madrid and are running, with more expected tomorrow.

Region E: 

ESF #1, Transportation:

5/10:  MoDOT reports 154 road closures.  St. Johns Bayou remains the biggest concern; 7/10 of a foot left before water tops the protection and I-55 is in danger of closing.

5/9:  MoDOT reports 209 roads closed due to flooding.  Biggest concern is I-55 in New Madrid County where it crosses St John's Bayou.

ESF #2, Communications:

ESF #3, Public Works & Engineering:

ESF #4&9, Firefighting, Search & Rescue:

ESF #5, Emergency Management:

5/10:  State EOC remains open from 7a-7p, but staffing is minimal.

5/9:  State EOC remains open 7a-7p.  Damage assessments have begun in flooded areas.

Through May 7, SEMA has received requests for and facilitated the provision of the following to Missouri communities affected by the flooding:
·      more than 1.1 million sandbags,
·      4,800 tons of sand,
·      7,300 tons of gravel,
·      more than 50 pumps,
·      2,500 feet of hoses,
·      77 pallets of bottled water

ESF #6, Mass Care:

5/10:  83 people remain sheltered in five locations, down from 90 yesterday.

ESF #7, Logistics:

5/9:  Working with National Guard to move 3 pumps from Caruthersville to New Madrid.  Working on procuring an additional 2 pumps from contractor in Alabama to assist with project.

ESF #8, Health & Medical:

ESF #10, Hazmat: 

ESF #11, Agriculture:

ESF #13, Law Enforcement/Public Safety:

5/9:  Missouri State Highway Patrol is operating under normal conditions but monitoring the situation.
Troop E went to 12 hour shifts, providing 24-hour coverage for all enforcement and communication personnel.  In addition, all leave was suspended. Mobile Field Force teams comprised of troopers assigned to other areas of the state responded to assist Troop E with flood operations.

The Mobile Field Force teams were three person teams with boats that could be deployed rapidly for whatever duties needed to be covered—from rescue operations to road closures to any type of security functions. There were 24 troopers from outside the area brought in as part of this operation. Mobile Field Force assisted with the Birds Point operation, which included the Army Corps of Engineers and National Guard.  

The MSHP's Water Patrol Division conducted a number of rescue missions in flooded areas.  Officers assisted county and local law enforcement with search and rescue operations, evacuations of local communities, and provided assistance at checkpoints. 

Troop E also assisted MoDOT with a number of road closures.  The Aircraft Division conducted 27 missions for a total of 54 flight hours.

5/10:  The National Guard currently has 649 troops working flood relief; this number is expected to decline daily.

The National Guard is currently conducting sandbagging operations in Caruthersville and Sikeston.  They are also transporting piping and pumps from Caruthersville to the St. John's Bayou site.

The Guard is starting a gradual drawdown, planning to reduce its force by about 100 soldiers and airmen a day. By Friday could be finished with operations, with the understanding that if conditions warrant, troops would be called back.

ESF #17, Animal Protection:

5/10:  150 animals were returned to their owners in Caruthersville; 350 remain sheltered.

For more information, call (573) 751-4819 or e-mail